We have one more week until we move, and after two years of waiting, we could not be more excited! Our family is awesome enough to help us out during this move.Someone has to be the designated leader and if you choose that role, people will be looking to you to tell them where to put everything. . To keep things less chaotic, I started a list of first things to do when moving into a new home checklist. These are things to do before the move and right when we moved in. If you are just starting the building process, click here for a gallery of home tips.
The Week Before (or sooner)
- Call your Internet and cable company to set up everything for the day after you move.
- Transfer the electric, gas, water, etc. for the day you move in.
- Send out an email to all your friends and family of your new address.
- Update Magazine Subscriptions, Car, Health, Insurance, PayPal, Credit Unions, Doctors, Banks, etc. of your change in address. Set up forwarding address at the post office.
An excellent checklist blog I found was by Homesweetlife.
- Call your mover to confirm a date to move.
- Make sure you home insurance (and any other insurances you may need) are current.
- Make a “move box” which includes screws, nails, scissors, tape, glue, drop cloths, drill, hammer, screw drivers, markers, measurement tape, shelf liner, toilet paper, paper towels, goo-goo gone, first aid kit, snacks, hand soap, trash bags, flashlight, phone chargers,batteries, etc. You will need this box so everyone knows where to look for things they may need when setting up your home.
I found a great list to print out on Housemix.
- Make a “first night” bag. You may not know where anything is after a while or be too tired to even care. At least you will know where you put your toothbrush and one outfit.
- Call the exterminator to pest-proof your new home.
- Prepare all documents for closing in a folder.
- Take out cash to make sure to tip movers and helpers
Another great printable checklist to get you started when moving is on Reviews.com. They give you a week by week plan as well!
First Things to Do When Moving Into a New Home Checklist:
- Cut plastic sheets for shelving
- Clean the house again
- Put together the beds
- Change locks on doors, and make a few spare keys.
- Go online and change address with DMV.
- Locate and label circuit breaker.
- Install shower curtain rods and liners w curtains.
- Install broom organizer, bathroom hooks, baby hooks under kitchen sink (for gloves)
- Add felt pads to furniture
- Check your air filters. See if any need to be replaced.
- If you notice any cracks or leaks, mark them.
- Take a reading of your water meter.
- Make sure all boxes and furniture is accounted and nothing is damaged.
- Have necessary items out for pets and/or children. We actually found a sitter for our pets for this day. It makes moving so much easier.
- Run all major appliances.
- Register your car and to vote.
- Create an emergency contact list – builder, real estate agent, local info
- Test the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- See when garbage collection times are.
- Don’t forget refreshments for all your helpers!