We have one more week until we move, and after two years of waiting, we could not be more excited! Our family is awesome enough to help us out during this move.Someone has to be the designated leader and if you choose that role, people will be looking to you to tell them where to put everything. . To keep things less chaotic, I started a list of first things to do when moving into a new home checklist. These are things to do before the move and right when we moved in. If you are just starting the building process, click here for a gallery of home tips.
The Week Before (or sooner)
- Call your Internet and cable company to set up everything for the day after you move.
- Transfer the electric, gas, water, etc. for the day you move in.
- Send out an email to all your friends and family of your new address.
- Update Magazine Subscriptions, Car, Health, Insurance, PayPal, Credit Unions, Doctors, Banks, etc. of your change in address. Set up forwarding address at the post office.
An excellent checklist blog I found was by Homesweetlife.
- Call your mover to confirm a date to move.
- Make sure you home insurance (and any other insurances you may need) are current.
- Make a “move box” which includes screws, nails, scissors, tape, glue, drop cloths, drill, hammer, screw drivers, markers, measurement tape, shelf liner, toilet paper, paper towels, goo-goo gone, first aid kit, snacks, hand soap, trash bags, flashlight, phone chargers,batteries, etc. You will need this box so everyone knows where to look for things they may need when setting up your home.
I found a great list to print out on Housemix.% | %